Wednesday 2 April 2014

Guide To Travelling | Tips And My Experience


As some of you will know, I have spent the last 6 months travelling around Australia, and about 10 months before that I was planning my trip. For me, this was a big step as I was out of my comfort zone but knew that wouldn't stop me from touring such an amazing country. I wanted to put this post together to give you an idea of my experience in travelling so far away from home (Scotland) and some tips I have if you are thinking of doing something spontaneous also. Please note that this may not account for short breaks and holidays (such as 1 or 2 weeks). 

A little on my experience
After finishing University and still unsure of where I wanted to go in life, I decided that taking a gap year would be the perfect way to find my feet. I had the fear of heading into the work force and not being able to take the time out for travelling or being prevented of the opportunity and letting it pass me by. I have family in Australia, who made the move from London approximately 9 year ago. On account of the stories we had heard and lots of spectacular photographs on facebook, I realised what a small and confined place I lived in. I wanted a taste of that lifestyle. My boyfriend and I had the same interest in travelling, so made the decision to travel for a year and that Australia was the destination. As we are not made of money unfortunately, we applied for a working Visa which would allow us to work and earn a living in our selected country. We applied for our visa's and booked our flights through STA Travel. We are now into our 7th month and we wish to experience a lot more before we head home but it truly has been so beneficial. I say that because before I came on this journey I could not cook to save myself. Cleaning clothes, washing up and other domestic duties were not in my vocabulary. My mum was just too good to me - therefore I needed this challenge.



Some factors to think of whilst in the decision making process:


Time Plan & Budget
Planning is key to making the most of a once in a life time trip. You may want to think about the budget before anything else as this is what determines how you travel and what you experience. If you do not have the funds for you're desirable holiday - save save save! Piggy banks that you have to break to get the money out of are great for saving. Choosing the correct timeplan is sometimes a big issue. Being prevented from travelling due to comitments (work, children) is why most people rarely go on these types of adventures. The timing is wrong. Plan ahead if work is getting in the way, this way your boss will have plenty of notice. If you're children are too young and you don't want to/can't go off without them - plan ahead til they are old enough so that you all can enjoy it. 

Where do you want to go?
Being on this trip has encouraged me to really get out there and see the world, so I know for sure that I will visit more and more countries in the future. What sold me on Australia was the weather. I am not going to lie, there is only so much miserable British weather a girl can take. Not only that, the opportunities that are out here is so vast that you would be a fool not to want to visit at least once in your life time. Look at what the country has to offer you. Is it their culture that interests you? Maybe you want to visit a country who speaks a different language? It really depends on who you are and what you want to gain from the experience.

Why are you going?
If you are like myself and are going on a work based holiday, you have to pass the required paperwork to enter. For example this type of visa required those to: be under the age of 30, have no criminal record etc... It varies depending on the type of stay and the duration. In some situations, colleges and universities offer programmes of exchanged schooling. This means you can apply to become an exchange student for a period in another country. You can visit various countries and pick up some good package deals on transport and accomodation (Eurotrip). Or you can travel various locations within a country (Trek America). The Trek America tour means that you will be placed into a group with tour leaders, if you are wary of travelling alone. 

Bucket List
In my opinion, the best way to figure out what you want to do and where you want to go is best presented in the form of a Bucket List. Jotting down a few ideas of the things you want to do before you die, gives you a checklist which should motivate you to want to check them off. For example: I wanted to experience the Sydn ey Tower Eye (❌) and See the Sydney Harbour Bridge & Opera House with my own eyes (❌). In the upcoming months I hope to check off 'Dove in the Great Barrier Reef'. 






Wherever you decide to go and whatever you decide to do - enjoy every second and make the most of the experience! 
If you have any questions or need some advice about travelling, feel free to leave a comment! 

ttyl,




1 comment:

Feel free to leave a comment if you have any questions. I love to hear from you and know what you think! Thank you x